Bananas unfairly get quite a bit of bad press for their high carbohydrate / sugar content. However they are also rich in fibre which slows the blood glucose spike, is great for gut flora and serves as a much better sweet treat than a processed candy bar or bag of dried fruits. Choosing the slightly less sweet, greener options will also give a greater resistant starch content. Good bacteria love resistant starch and in certain doses it can even help with sleep, anecdotally giving some people very vivid dreams.
7 Healthy Banana Recipes To Try Out Today
Bananas are one of my favourite fruits: I eat a few each week and as well as the health benefits, they make great recipe additions. Here are 7 of my top, super easy ways to eat bananas!
1. Berry Almond Cocoa Smoothie
I always preserve a few peeled and sliced bananas in my freezer to use in a quick smoothie recipe. A banana contains natural sweetener so you don’t need to add honey or sugar, plus using frozen fruit lets me skip the ice. Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup of frozen sliced banana
- 1/2 cup of frozen wild blueberries
- 3/4 cup of 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of almond butter
- 1/4 cup of water
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- You can also add additional water if one thinner texture is desired.
- Enjoy it.
2. Slow Cooker Banana-Pecan Bread
This recipe is very easy to toss into your slow cooker prior to going to bed, ready for when you wake up. Here is the recipe:
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 mashed large overripe bananas, (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- Add maple syrup and oil to a large bowl. Use a whisk to beat with until combined. Next, add eggs and now beat well.
- Then, whisk in almond milk and bananas.
- Stir in vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
- After this, add flour and mix till just combined. Now fold pecans into batter.
- Thereafter, divide batter between two small greased loaf pans.
- Add loaf pans to the slow cooker. Then, set to high for four hours.
3. Chocolate Chip Banana & Zucchini Muffins
I love this dish as part of a healthy breakfast with some eggs or with a little protein like 6 oz Greek yogurt. The method is:
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- First of all, preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Next, put cupcake liners in twelve-muffin tin and spray each liner’s inside lightly with cooking oil.
- Then, shred the zucchini in one food processor. Squeeze the shredded zucchini using a paper towel to remove excess water.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon and leave aside.
- Now mix together honey, mashed banana, vanilla, and eggs. After this, add in zucchini, yogurt, and applesauce.
- Slowly add these dry ingredients into this mixture. Make sure to stay away from over mixing, this will assist to produce moist muffins!
- Now fold in these chocolate chips.
- Evenly spoon out into muffins cups.
- After this, bake for around 20-25 minutes or until the middle part of muffins are cooked through. Immediately enjoy!
4. Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookie Recipe
A cookie that is rich in protein and whole grains and healthy enough that it makes a great treat for kids.
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup of vanilla low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of oat flour
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and next line a cookie sheet alongside parchment paper.
- Mash large banana in a large bowl and then add in Greek yogurt. Now mix well.
- Whisk egg and later add to liquid ingredients. After this, fold in the dry ingredients except the chocolate chips and mix well. Now add in the chocolate chips and mix till evening distributed.
- Use the tablespoon to scoop dough onto lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for around 15-18 minutes until the edges turn light brown.
- Serve cooled or warm and preserve leftovers in the refrigerator.
5. Crunch Toast
Crunch toast works well as a snack or breakfast and is incredibly simple yet irresistible.
- 2 whole wheat bread slices
- 2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 large banana
- Toast bread. Next, spread on nut butter.
- Later add banana slices and now drizzle the honey. Finally, sprinkle cinnamon on top.
6. Peanut Butter Cups With Dark Chocolate And Banana
These cups are amazingly light because they are sweetened solely with ripe bananas. Follow these easy steps below:
- 1 ripe banana, diced
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup of natural peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil for garnish
- 200 g finely chopped Green and Blacks Organic Burnt Toffee Dark Chocolate
- Puree the banana, coconut oil, peanut butter and vanilla extract in one small food processor until smooth and creamy. Leave aside.
- Into one medium sized glass bowl, place the chocolate and then set it over one small saucepot filled 1-inch up with water. Simmer the water and stir the chocolate slowly until it melts. After this, remove from the heat.
- Carefully spoon one thin layer of this Green and Blacks Organic Burnt Toffee Dark Chocolate with a small spoon onto the bottoms of 50 silicon molds (mini sized) or eight silicon muffin containers (regular sized).
- Place these molds onto one baking sheet and shift to your freezer to harden for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Once set, create a ball or candy mold and now press it on the chocolate base of the top. Gingerly pour this chocolate down the sides using a small spoon to envelope the filling as well as on the top to cover the peanut butter fully. Shift to your freezer to set fully at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cups with fleur de sel (a pinch) right before serving and enjoy.
7. Banana Fudge Vegan Ice Cream
This recipe is loaded with plant-based protein, due to the powdered peanut butter and tofu. Here is the recipe:
- 85g firm lite tofu
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of powdered peanut butter
- 1 frozen and pre-sliced banana
- 1/2 teaspoon of vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- 5-6 peanuts, chopped
- First of all, place first 4 ingredients into a blender and then process until smooth.
- Shift to one serving bowl and after this, top with cacao nibs and peanuts.
- Makes 1 cup= 2 small servings or 1 large serving.
So there you have it – a taste of the healthy diversity of something as simple as bananas :). The crunch toast is my favourite, let us know if you try them or have any other ideas!