When the world is such a colossal place, why visit the same spot twice or even frequent the most popular tourist destinations? Here are a few ideas for casting the net further afield and catching a bigger oyster.
Swap Dubrovnik for Kotor
- A little town on Montenegro’s Adriatic coast
- The old town was built as a maze to confuse invading forces
- Have a chilled Niksicko beer in the main square, on the terrace of Hotel Vardar.
- Admire the views atop the hillside castle of San Giovanni
- Have a seabass supper at the harbour-side Galion restaurant
Swap Prague for Brno
- Pronounced ‘Burr-no’
- Blonde beer, Baroque buildings and a distinct lack of stag dos are its main selling points
- Czech Republic’s second largest city
- Home to the Moravian Karst – a beautiful network of underground caves (below)
- Pull a pint at the Lucky Bastard Beer House
- Have a night out at the Super Panda Circus, best known for its eccentric decor
- A diverse array of chic boutique hotels on offer
Swap Bologna for Bari
- A Southern Italian City full of character and charm.
- Take an evening walk along the promenade, the seafront Lungomare Nazario Sauro
- Shop the quirky collections at boutiques such as Mimma Ninni
- Sample local specialty polpo arricciato (octopus beaten until tender) at La Tana Del Polpo
Swap Barcelona for Girona
- Catalan culture, modernist architecture and year-round sun.
- Peruse the boutiques in the Old Quarter
- Michelin starred El Celler de Can Roca is regularly voted one of the best restaurants in the world
- Walk the cobbled Rambla, devoid of hoards of tourists and the often creepy street artists…
Swap Berlin for Graz
- This Austrian city has plenty of edgy art and culture to satisfy your inner hipster
- Museum Kunsthaus Graz looks like a castoff from the Westworld set.
- Murinsel Graz is an artificial island in the river Mur that has everything from strudel to cinema (below)
- Head to Die Scherbe bar to try a glass (bottle) of the wine of the month.
This really makes me wish I could afford to travel